On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Tim wrote:
[snip]
> I know I'm getting into this a bit late....  (been out of town)  BUT....
>
> You are absolutely right, Laurent.  Attitude matters on these lists and
> if you can't be respectful of the people who give of themselves to keep
> these lists running smoothly, then the lists are better off without
> you.  We are not perfect, but we do our best to keep the peace on the
> lists.

Agreed, attitude *does* matter, but may I suggest it's a two way street.

It was a succession of belittling comments, an overtly condescending
manner, and the use of derisive sarcasm by the nanny in question towards
listers - behaviour which had only days earlier been explicitly
*prohibited* on the list - which caused me to openly ask if anyone else
was frustrated by these double standards. I have difficulty regarding that
rhetorical query as overtly disrespectful and worthy of being banned.

Contrary to Tim's suggestion, I *do* have a lot of respect for those who
give of themselves in both these and other lists in which I participate
(*especially* the moderators), but it will never be unconditional.
Actions such as I described above simply cannot go unchallenged. As I
commented to Tim in a follow-up email, 'setting the example' is by far the
best service that a moderator could provide, and one of the best
guaranntees of 'peace on the lists'. At the risk of being accused of
'kissing a**' in here, I would point to Laurent and Amber as setting
excellent examples. The quality of this list attests to that.
--
Non Illegitimi Carborundum