Found this laying in my "drafts" folder in Mail. On january 13, this discussion ended thus (An excerpt follows):
"...Watch your revenues crash as you yank the rug out of over half of
your revenues. Apple becomes an iPod only company. The stock tanks,
shareholders revolt, and Steve Jobs rues the day he ever listened to
darm0k.

APPLE IS A HARDWARE COMPANY, OSX IS THE INCENTIVE TO BUY A MAC
APPLE IS A HARDWARE COMPANY, OSX IS THE INCENTIVE TO BUY A MAC
APPLE IS A HARDWARE COMPANY, OSX IS THE INCENTIVE TO BUY A MAC

This is like Mercedes deciding, instead of building high quality
vehicles for a small share of the market, we'll just sell Mercedes
name and insignia to any old car manufacturer, to slap on their
products. Then, when the market share for "Mercedes" has grown huge,
we'll profit enormously!

Work with the developer/hacker/user community for a year or two,
to build a base of ad-hoc supported systems.  Then, as the market-
share begins to explode, jump in with both feet.
(Dylan McDermond)

Then why hasn't the Linux market share exploded? This is the strategy
that's been employed for years, and it wasn't until Apple came along
that a truly consumer-friendly version of Unix was successful. (I'm
separating the use of Linux in the server world versus Linux on the
desktop.)

This sounds like one of those Slashdot Jokes:

1) Come up with <idotic scheme>
2) Convince Slashdot it's a great idea
3) ...
4) PROFIT!

Or the Sidney Harris cartoon <http://iserver.asa.edu.py/physicsweb/
miracle.gif>

--
Bruce Johnson"

Now, that the Intel Macs are here, what does Bruce think about the future of Mac now? Many people are itching to impement OSX on x86 boxes, simply because they want a good operating system on lower priced boxes? Isnt this almost the same as licensing clones? (when everyone and his brother can port X w/no trouble to non-apple hardware, wont apple see their profits sink? And what about viruses? Rumors (or speculations) here on the G-list tend towards universal viruses. THAT would suck! Anything fresh on that issue? And when is apple going to come up with a decent macintel 12" powerbook? Ingeniously small, eminently portable, and with larger- screen connection should the need arise. Those 14/15/17" models quickly outgrow decent backpacks, necessitating special carrying cases/bags/packs. And gone is small-but-powerful, which I now think are the essentials of portables.