On Monday 20 February 2006 06:35, Peter Udbjørg wrote:

> Now, that the Intel Macs are here, what does Bruce think about the
> future of Mac  now? Many people are itching to impement OSX on x86
> boxes, simply because they want  a good operating system on lower
> priced boxes? Isnt this almost the same as licensing clones? (when
> everyone and his brother can port X w/no trouble to non-apple
> hardware, wont apple see their profits sink?

Part of the problem with running OS X on cheaper X86 architectures is the loss
of stability.  Micros*ft with it's huge monarchy has trouble getting XP
working properly on all the different motherboards.  The mobo manufacturers
cooperate by patching bios to fix problems but still it's problematic.  Linux
has even more problems because all those manufacturers could give a crap
about such a small part of the market.  Now try running an unsupported OS X
on X86 hardware.  It may work...or may not....or more likely it'll sort of
work with all kinds of lockups and crashes.  Hackers will do it...they love a
challenge.  Everyone else will buy Apple hardware.  The thing I like about OS
X is it mostly just works....if I wanted to give that up I'd just use linux
only.

coldfire