Just thought I'd chime in on this thread for the possible benefit of Ginny, et al... It was a bit of a struggle at first but I, for one, have come to depend on Spotlight to some degree and at this point would miss it if it went poof. When I need to locate multiple instances of embedded data (usually text in my case) across several hard drives, Spotlight is second to none. I just had to wrap my head around its quirky interface but that didn't take so very long. I also use EasyFind with good results for simple searches etc. and this might also be a good option for some users (hell, it's free):
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11076

Related info: this just in from OSFAQ

Spotlight - Fancy Searches

Click here for the tip in HTML

http://www.osxfaq.com/DailyTips/02-2006/02-21.ws

When you search using the Finder's File : Find... menu item (or press
Command-f), don't just stick to the standard criteria, explore the Other...
menu item.

Image - http://www.osxfaq.com/DailyTips/02-2006/02-21-1.png

The next two examples illustrate this.

1) Select Kind Others... and hit the pop-up to see all the different
document kinds. For example, here are all the iCal To Do files in my home
folder.

Image - http://www.osxfaq.com/DailyTips/02-2006/02-21-2.png

2) Search for all photographs that were taken with or without the flash, or for all Photoshop documets that have at least two layers called "jan" and
"dates".

Image - http://www.osxfaq.com/DailyTips/02-2006/02-21-3.png

To open a document, double-click it in the normal manner.

Here's a list of the file types that Spotlight recognizes and can probe for
metadata (like flash on/off and photoshop layers).

  JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and GIF images
  MP3 and AAC audio files
  QuickTime movies
  PDF files
  Microsoft Word and Excel documents
  iChat transcripts
  Email messages
  Address Book contacts
  iCal calendar files

Third party plug-ins add to this list.

Tomorrow's tip looks at Smart Folders.

some might enjoy signing up for this semi-daily email if you're still earning your wings in X.. can't hurt.
http://www.osxfaq.com

To Subscribe E-mail To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To Un-Subscribe E-mail To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ciao
db