From:
Herb Basser
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ian,
 Whatever halakhah might or might not mean, it never refers
to scriptural exegesis or any exegesis for that matter. It
can refer to laws which are justified by some scriptural
prroftext or other but never to the process of
derivation.The methods of interpretation are called din, kal
vehomer, gezerah shava, kllal ufrat, ribui umiut and on and
on, but nowhere do we find any method called, even
generically,  halakhah. In its generic sense it refers to a
coherent living system of definite laws, something akin to
cosmic laws: One might remark "the halacha says" "According
to the halakhah..." "That's the halakhah.." In more ancient
sources we find: halakhah-- Esau hates Jacob, "The halakhah
is according to the Hillelites", Halakhah can refer to rules
that are not derivable from any source but are purely
received from the tradition (you might add here "of the
elders" and I wouldnt object, and  Mark 7 complains that
scribes allow such rules to trump Scripture). As a plural it
again refers to rules that might not be found in scripture
(see m. hagigah 1:8). Why do you think it is a method in the
field of ritual purity? My colleague (and former student)
Hannah Harrington is a worthy guide on these matters, does
she claim it is a "method". So I question the accuracy your
assertion:
 >However, when used in a generic sense to
> describe a method of interpretation, which is the only way
I have seen it used
> in the field of ritual purity, I would argue that it is
entirely appropriate.