Dear Ian:

I appreciate your thoughtful post; allow me please to
reflect at length.
I stand by what I said. People who deal with Qumran
sometimes, improperly,
just use the  word halakhah to mean "law" as opposed to
"lore" and I did write in an
earlier post "What we now call Midrash halakhah (likely,
coined in opposition to the
term midrash aggada) may pay attention to counter intuitive
exegetical
rules." Let me unpack this a bit more in terms of modern
scholarship. Most
scholars use terminology based on Christian categories and
as such
consider Jewish laws to be somewhat fanciful interpretations
of the divine
word. Hence their use of halakhah as an interpretation
rather than a
divine law. Hannah Harrington is a devout evangelical and
because of this pays
close attention to detail. She knows what she's talking
about. But she
teaches in a Bible college in Oakland and her terms may be
geared to her
students (consciously or otherwise). She knows halakhah is
never a method.
Soulen and Soulen are again caught in the Christian
theological web and
should have said "Midrash Halakhah" in which case their
defintion would
have been accurate. But even so the point is not exact since
midrash Halakhah can
refer even to aggadic matter, and our compilations of
midrash halakhah
have ample amounts of non-legal materials also. Schiffman is
only correct
in stating that legal rulings become attached to specific
verses through
various strategies but the attachment is not at all referred
to as
halakhah but rather (in post talmudic times) "midrash(ei)
halakhah"-- ways
of deriving halakhah. The ancient rabbis themselves referred
to this as
talmud or talmud torah (censors later changed the
anathematic term talmud
to gemara in the sources) and the term "yesh talmud lomar"
(shortened to yesh talmud
or talmud lomar, incorrectly rendered as "scripture states")
introduces the
verse being attached to the law for exegetical purposes.
But dropping the christian terminology, the word halakhah
itself does
not imply exegesis at all. It is a definitive ruling, and in
order to unify the oral and
written laws (so the argument runs) under pressure from
opponents much effort
was put into developping scriptural base for many Jewish
laws which had no
scriptural warrant. Halakhah and exegesis are only connected
if we see
halivni's notion of mishnah as revolution as final
(lauterbach actually
said it first) but then again they did not call  the process
halakhah but
"justified law" (halivni I think actually makes the point
specifically) or
midrash.

My inclination is to abandon the term and try to free the
language of
ancient Jewish texts from Christian/academic/ theology.
Halakhah and Exegesis are
separate, and even if we allow that halakhah stems from
exegesis (which is
not an absurd assumption) we should not allow ther terms to
mix. A human
being is not sexual activity, although we should admit that
the one
produced the other. The  word Halakhah as used in Jewish
literature
precludes any sense of exegesis. If we want to claim that
its origins lie
in exegesis and take it from there we may do so.

I have written at length here only because I know there is
no merit in
using terms with meanings that have seeped into academic
parlance with
loaded meanings that are antithetical to the original
usages. Now I know
people will claim that halakha cannot be accepted as the
word of God  in
the academic community and that is of course true, but we
should not use
terms that are specific to religious traditions and strap
the term with
our own baggage. Strack's discussion (Intro to the Talmud
and Midrash, ch
2, first page or two) makes clear the division between
halakhah and
written scripture. We can and should make judgments about
terminolgy
employed by religious traditions but we must not use their
terminology as if
it already reflects our functionalist/reductionalist
suppositions.
Students who learn bible in university alone might think
that the ancient
Jews accepted JEPD as givens. They cannot then understand
any ancient
discussions of the Bible. And yes, I have an axe to grind
here: the
late Willard Oxtoby objected at my PhD orals (how could a
tradition so
biblically based produce this gibberish!) and my supervisor,
Lou Silberman
objected--( Oh, they weren't protestants!) and that exchange
cost me an
aweful lot subsequently.

Lets keep our interpretations of what is interpretation
separate from the
usages of the traditions we study and just use English.

Herb