On Oct 12, 10:53 pm, "Alex Smith (K4RNT)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> If color accuracy is *that* important to you, and price is an issue, look on
> eBay for Eizo LCDs. Eizo makes displays for professional users, like medical
> imaging and such. They manufacture their LCDs with color accuracy and
> precision being the premiums.
>
> http://www.eizo.com/
>
> If price isn't an issue, look at the ViewSonic Graphic series:
>
> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcddisplays/

Thanks again for the info, Alex. Well, yeah, color is pretty important
to me, since I evaluate my paintings with it, take digital pictures of
those paintings, and use them on my art website and elsewhere (like
YouTube: <http://tinyurl.com/6e698m>) and I make videos with Final Cut
(see <http://tinyurl.com/6xdymg>). The old Apple Cinema Display HD
that I bought at an auction has always done a good job for me, and
after reading the article mentioned above and some other info, I'm
beginning to understand why: it's one of the high-tech (read
expensive) IPS-technology types (see<http://tinyurl.com/53cujw>) which
are not common in the LCD world.

One way to evaluate LCD monitors is to go to Amazon.com and read the
customer reviews. Over and over again, monitors that get high praise
from most people will be panned by people doing Photoshop and Final
Cut work like I do. I guess it's like the public and photos in general
(I was once a commercial photographer, so I know); most people are
happy with just about any image if it doesn't look really off-color,
while people who actually work with color and definition are a lot
more fussy.

At this point it's beginning to look like I'll buy an Apple ADC-to-DVI
adapter for $100 and take the old Cinema Display over to the "new" G5.

Tom