>> I am curious why a jpeg and a gif file from an OS X user would not  open in
>> my son's Window XP pro computer.

Although, I discovered that Quicktime (and PictureViewer) opened both the gif
and the one jpeg created in OS X that wouldn't open by any other applications
in Windows XP. All those explanations are interesting but it's just curious why
it could be opened by Quicktime and not any applications in WinXP, even Adobe
PS CS3?

On Oct 27, 2008, at 6:21 PM, Ray wrote:

> I am curious why a jpeg and a gif file from an OS X user would not
> open in my son's Window XP pro computer. They all opened in 10.4
> Preview.  It was also strange that the gif file could not be opened
> by Photoshop CS3 in my G4 running 10.4;

This is not necessarily a Mac versus PC problem. Folklore and FUD
aside, file issues between Windows and OS X are damned near non-
existent, PARTICULARLY for a long-time cross-platform application like
Photoshop.

The main solutions that the Great Google finds is:

"a) wrong file format
... (it's not what Photoshop thinks it is)

b) wrong extension
... (tif file marked "JPG" ... or psd file marked "GIF"

c) newer file format on older version of software

d) file previously corrupted or improperly saved"

And most of these involved issues of opening files from like
platforms...

Start there...Open the files in Graphic Converter and find out what it
REALLY is.