Mullin9 wrote:
> Ways to clean up old Macs, environmentally.
> 1 way to clean up an old Mac is to recycle a CRT monitor, and buy an
> LCD, especially a LED backed LCD.
> another way to do it is to upgrade to new/newer environmentally clean
> Macs.
> or at replace components with environmentally cleaner ones.
> for those who knows how to tinker with older Macs and it's hardware,
> and have G3 iMacs, or eMacs. you could gut the CRT and re-finish the
> Mac with an LCD display, just make sure the LCD matches the size of
> the CRT you're replacing.
>
> for my iMac G3 400, I knock off 20 Lbs & most lead by using a 13" LCD
> in place of 13" CRT.

Not buying a CRT monitor in the first place will help.  Dumping one now
and buying more gear now won't improve the environment as far as
removing lead, etc is concerned.  Getting the most use from what you
have will.

Now if you want to talk about power savings by replacing a CRT with an
LCD now you are talking.  Same is true by going from an old computer to
a modern model.  An intel iMac pulls the same amount of power when in
sleep as when turned off, 1-2W.  An older CRT iMac draws about 40W in sleep.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA