At 8:37 PM -0800 12/20/2008, Mullin9 wrote:
>Ways to clean up old Macs, environmentally.
>1 way to clean up an old Mac is to recycle a CRT monitor, and buy an
>LCD, especially a LED backed LCD.
>another way to do it is to upgrade to new/newer environmentally clean Macs.

This makes sense IFF the hardware has died.

If the hardware is functional then adding it to the trash stream is
simply NOT an environmentally friendly thing to do!  I don't care if
"trash stream" is actual trash or a recycling program -- WORKING
hardware should NEVER be scrapped.  As long as its kept as-is, the
hazardous materials are locked in and we aren't spending the energy
or resources (water etc) to process them!

Ok, I can see trying to justify things because the newer hardware
might use less electricity IF its power supply is lower wattage and
more efficient.  From the consumer point of view, the electric
savings is nice.  But from the environmental POV - again, that CRT
didn't need to be recycled YET.

I see this like this whole Compact Florescent effort that we've
bought into.  The mercury in them makes them one of the worst
technologies we've ever used.  If you break one at home, technically,
you're supposed to report it to your local poison control center so
they can initiate the necessary environmental cleanup!  Beyond that,
their light is awful, and they DONT last the n years they're supposed
to.  The only way CF lights are a good deal is if you're a stock
holder in the companies that make them.  The same as for buying new
computer hardware just to replace perfectly good working hardware...

</rant>

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth