On Dec 26, 1:59 pm, Anne Keller-Smith <earth...@ptd.net> wrote:
>...I like to get a Uninterruptible Power Supply ... I heard
> that's hard on the motherboards, even when it's a slump
> in voltage. The UPS makes sure the Mac gets a consistent
> voltage at all times ...

  Low voltage is not hard on motherboards.  Electronics has been
required to not be harmed by low voltage for generations - even long
before PCs exists.  However myths to promote UPSes live on.  In fact a
chart from an industry standard 30 some years ago defines low voltage
as not destructive by using this expression even in capital letters:
"No Damage Region"

  UPS provides consistent voltage?  How consistent?  This 120 volt
computer grade UPS outputs two 200 volt square waves with a spike of
up to 270 volts between those square waves.   That UPS electricity is
so 'dirty' as to be harmful to some small electric motors and Monster
Cable surge protectors.  But since computers are so robust, that same
'dirty' voltage is irrelevant.

  Computer grade UPS does not protect hardware.  Does not even claim
to.  It claims to protect from a power loss.  The claim is worded so
that you will assume it also provides hardware protection.

  Read what even the manufacturer admits in:
   http://tinyurl.com/6zn9sr
> APC's Back-UPS line is designed for use with
> Computer-type loads only. They are not designed to
> be used with motor loads such as fish filters, air
> conditioning units, space heaters, vacuum cleaners
> or any other machinery.

  Why?  Some of the 'dirtiest' electricity comes from a UPS when in
battery backup mode.  Its purpose is to protect data from blackouts -
not to protect hardware.

  Low voltage is not harmful to motherboards.  If it were, then low
voltage would also cause electronics inside a UPS (that recharges the
battery) to be destroyed.  Damage from low voltage is a popular urban
legend where claims are provided without numbers - with speculations.
>From Intel standards for power supplies so long ago: voltage must drop
so low that incandescent bulbs glow at only 40% intensity - and the
computer must work just fine.  Low voltage must not cause electronics
damage - despite popular urban myths.