You can run OS X on a PC ( I don't know if they got leopard working yet),
I still have yet to try it out since I only have one good PC that I
own and that's my laptop.

Also I think one reason why Macs last longer than other computers is
because there user know what there doing.  I'm having to go over my
friends house all the time to remove malware, why because they don't
have safe browser habbits.
I also think that's why my familys computers last so long, we know
what we are doing.

Now with about your old Toshiba laptop,  I think that was a simple
glitch with that laptop because I've never had major issues with
Toshiba laptops at all.  Now my brother on the other hand has had
issues with his Macbook, it has a good bit of power issues and he has
had to replace the AC Adapter twice.