Running AppleJack may have solved the problem.

Note: I also replaced the PRAM battery with a fresh one, and created
a new Network Location which selects "Using DHCP", but I force the
listing of only 1 DNS Server, the usual 192.168.1.1. The Location
setup by the OS listed the server twice for some reason
("192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.1"), causing the Startup sequence to have to
reject one so it wouldn't crash ... paraphrasing the system.log. This
is from a Westell DSL modem setup.

Anyway, it looks like the M-Audio Delta Helper folder is now being
accessed only AFTER the loginwindow.app starts, and runs through the
StartupItems > M-Audio Delta Helper (folder) items completely ... but
only after the loginwindow.app. Previously, it looked like it was
trying to start, and failed, before loginwindow.app ... then if it
tried again, it would run to completion. Make sense?

When I ran AppleJack, it performed the 5 operations under auto pilot
mode (I repeat them here, as I'm copying this comment to the M-Audio
site FTI):

1) repair disks
2) repair permissions
3) cleanup cache files
4) validate preference files
5) cleanup virtual memory

 From my Time Machine Backup, in another installation of the M-Audio
Delta Helper folder which shows up in  Library > StartupItems > M-
Audio Delta Helper, its permissions are:

moonstoneartstudio(Me) Read & Write
staff Read only
everyone Read only

After AppleJack:

system Read & Write
wheel Read only
everyone Read only

I'm guessing the cleaning up of the cache files, which I had never
tried before, (except by accident using a Safe Boot?), may have put
things in the right Timing Sequence, and along with the corrected
Permissions, the net result seems to be its now working ... things
are being approached at the proper time, loading, etc.

I've done several Cold Boots and Restarts, and the system.log looks
better ... so far, no kps or Blue Screens.

When I have some more time ... I will offer 2 Apple System
Profilers ... 1 failure showing where things go awry ... the other
where things are now working.

Maybe too early to tell. Finally feeling good about it though ...
persistence seems to be paying off.

Thanks for your insights.

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio