Dan ...

On Mar 25, 2009, at 2:50 PM, Dan wrote:

>>> The kernel panics were not caused by that importer.  Those were
>>> simple spotlight indexing crashes.  Two separate issues.
>>>
>>> Now that you've pulled that importer, it might be worth erasing your
>>> spotlight index, and letting it rebuild cleanly.  Just be sure that
>>> while your Mac is rebuilding the index, don't logout or let it
>>> sleep.
>>> heh.  Actually, might be better to just not use it - so you don't kp
>>> from a video or m-audio problem.
>>
>> Maybe replace the Sibelius importer, and run CocktailLE for Leopard
>> to erase the index files, and see if new ones solve the problems?
>
> Joke the fancy tools.  Just issue the mdutil commands yourself.
>
> sudo mdutil -i off /Volumes/fred
> sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/fred
> sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/fred
>
>> I was/am hoping to just let Spotlight run, but at times I may have
>> done (probably) a Restart before it had finished. I think I want to
>> let it run, and run to completion, so I can use my OS and apps as
>> normal ... whatever that is.
>
> Absolutely let Spotlight finish its indexing before interrupting it
> in any way.  Spotlight is *known* to corrupt indices when
> interrupted.  You can tell it's finished because all the md*
> processes have idled or ended.

I replaced the SibeliusScore.mdimporter and I did the suggested sudo
mdutil commands and re-Indexed everything.

Seeing that I was having trouble with a particular Font folder,
contained in an old Photoscore 3.1 installation on my APPS partition,
I deleted this installation and ran the re-Indexing again on that APPS
partition.

Still showing a problem with Sibelius 5 indexing. Have another e-mail
in to Sibelius Tech folks.

This seemed to release a myriad of issues with coreaudio and other
things, that have me perplexed as to how to proceed. Also got a system
pause (Blue Screen) that resolved in about 5 minutes, and seemed to be
pausing at a Public folder ... was this because I have File Sharing On
and it was waiting for my other computer to come up (which it did
while I was waiting for the Blue Screen to possibly resolve on its own)?

How do I send my system.log-s to someone who requests them? The bulk
of them are located in /var/log/samba , but that seems to be
invisible, except to Console? Is there a "Show Invisible FIles"
checkbox somewhere?

Thanks. This all sounds so pathetic at present ...

You can uncross those fingers for awhile ...

Bill