At 2:00 PM -0400 3/25/2009, insightinmind wrote:
>On Mar 25, 2009, at 1:12 PM, Dan wrote:
>  >> While indexing yesterday, I got a kp. Sibelius suggested removing
>>>  SibeliusScore.mdimporter from its app package. Simple enough. Now no
>>>  kps due to that, but could feel loss of capability of Spotlight along
>>>  with this solution.
>>
>>  The kernel panics were not caused by that importer.  Those were
>>  simple spotlight indexing crashes.  Two separate issues.
>>
>>  Now that you've pulled that importer, it might be worth erasing your
>>  spotlight index, and letting it rebuild cleanly.  Just be sure that
>>  while your Mac is rebuilding the index, don't logout or let it sleep.
>>  heh.  Actually, might be better to just not use it - so you don't kp
>>  from a video or m-audio problem.
>
>Maybe replace the Sibelius importer, and run CocktailLE for Leopard
>to erase the index files, and see if new ones solve the problems?

Joke the fancy tools.  Just issue the mdutil commands yourself.

sudo mdutil -i off /Volumes/fred
sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/fred
sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/fred

>I was/am hoping to just let Spotlight run, but at times I may have
>done (probably) a Restart before it had finished. I think I want to
>let it run, and run to completion, so I can use my OS and apps as
>normal ... whatever that is.

Absolutely let Spotlight finish its indexing before interrupting it
in any way.  Spotlight is *known* to corrupt indices when
interrupted.  You can tell it's finished because all the md*
processes have idled or ended.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth