At 10:20 AM -0400 8/7/2009, Bill Connelly wrote:

>>>  Well it dropped out again. After moving it back from an external FW
>>>  enclosure, it started up with multiple "Bus Errors" and eventually
>>>  dropped off the Desktop.
>>
>>  What does it show in the system log?
>
>I can't tell. I'll send Dan a copy.
>
>I had started Spotlight again, since I had turned it off to simplify
>things, but I was getting a message like:
>Aug  7 10:00:18 Moonstone-Art-Studio /Applications/Utilities/
>Console.app/Contents/MacOS/Console[285]: installAutoFSMonitor: open
>failed

Turn Spotlight's indexing OFF.  Leave it OFF.  Simplify the problem.
If you're having problems with a HD, the LAST thing you want is
something perusing and WRITING to it all the time.  That's a sure way
to corrupt things.

Looking thru the log you sent.....

Jul 28 00:00:13 Moonstone-Art-Studio kernel[0]: IOATAController
device blocking bus.

Not good.  That and other messages point to the data path between the
bus and the drive being foo - iow, replace that cable etc.

There are so many write type failures in the log...  Can't really
tell if it's corrupted or not, but I'm thinking it might not be a
good idea to trust the data thereon anymore.  Once you get the
hardware issues settled, erase then reload it from your backup.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.