On Aug 7, 2009, at 2:07 PM, Dan wrote:

> At 10:20 AM -0400 8/7/2009, Bill Connelly wrote:

>>> What does it show in the system log?
>>
>> I can't tell. I'll send Dan a copy.
>>
>> I had started Spotlight again, since I had turned it off to simplify
>> things, but I was getting a message like:
>> Aug  7 10:00:18 Moonstone-Art-Studio /Applications/Utilities/
>> Console.app/Contents/MacOS/Console[285]: installAutoFSMonitor: open
>> failed
>
> Turn Spotlight's indexing OFF.  Leave it OFF.  Simplify the problem.
> If you're having problems with a HD, the LAST thing you want is
> something perusing and WRITING to it all the time.  That's a sure way
> to corrupt things.

Will do after it has indexed ... already started when I got your
response ...

> Looking thru the log you sent.....
>
> Jul 28 00:00:13 Moonstone-Art-Studio kernel[0]: IOATAController
> device blocking bus.
>
> Not good.  That and other messages point to the data path between the
> bus and the drive being foo - iow, replace that cable etc.
>
> There are so many write type failures in the log...  Can't really
> tell if it's corrupted or not, but I'm thinking it might not be a
> good idea to trust the data thereon anymore.  Once you get the
> hardware issues settled, erase then reload it from your backup.

Thank You for scanning the log.

Weird how I didn't get the dropout of the 500GB Seagate, but I only
got it with the 750GB ... same changed out mobo ATA cable.

And since both drives performed well in the external FW enclosure, I
suspect a problem with the 750GB circuitry? Make any sense? Possible
the same drive would work on an external but not internally? I seem to
remember someone suspecting externals possibly had better/stronger
power flow, so one drive might not work internally, but would come
alive externally.

It hasn't dropped out since moving it to the double plug power line,
and I've run Intech's Integrity simultaneously  on 2 separate
partitions, while running Activity Monitor continuously, while copying
a DVD across the Network, and checking Mail.

Guess I should suspect possibility of faulty data on all partitions?