At 2:52 PM -0400 8/7/2009, Bill Connelly wrote:
>  >> I had started Spotlight again, since I had turned it off to simplify
>>>  things, but I was getting a message like:
>>>  Aug  7 10:00:18 Moonstone-Art-Studio /Applications/Utilities/
>>>  Console.app/Contents/MacOS/Console[285]: installAutoFSMonitor: open
>>>  failed
>>
>>  Turn Spotlight's indexing OFF.  Leave it OFF.  Simplify the problem.
>>  If you're having problems with a HD, the LAST thing you want is
>>  something perusing and WRITING to it all the time.  That's a sure way
>>  to corrupt things.
>
>Will do after it has indexed ... already started when I got your
>response ...

Check the system log.  If you see even ONE error being thrown stop
the indexing NOW.

>Weird how I didn't get the dropout of the 500GB Seagate, but I only
>got it with the 750GB ... same changed out mobo ATA cable.

Is everything equal between the two drives - same exact buffering and
raw performance?  Could be that the newer drive is just able to push
data faster, causing the marginal cable to fail.

>And since both drives performed well in the external FW enclosure, I
>suspect a problem with the 750GB circuitry? Make any sense?

It makes more sense to me that it's a marginal IDE cable.  Those
types of errors... would be noticed while in the external box too, if
it was the drive mechanism.

>Guess I should suspect possibility of faulty data on all partitions?

yes.  At this point.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.