On Nov 10, 11:27 am, Stewie de Young <stewies...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ... I think what he is after though is whether these cards can have a DVD
> drive plugged into them that you can boot off...

> Stewie

Correct!

I just searched for Mac compatible SATA controller cards, then for
cheap Mac compatible SATA cards. I finally found that Silicon Image
chip sets are the basis for most Mac compatible SATA cards. SYBA makes
about the cheapest SATA II 2int/2/ext 4-port Mac compatible out there;
PCI-X model SD-PCXSA2-2E2R, $33.99 @ mwave.com. The card comes stock
with a RAID capable (software only) BIOS/firmware that only supports
hard drives. However, a non-RAID BIOS/firmware is available for
download (card must be flashed in a Windows PC) that eliminates the
delay at boot caused by the RAID BIOS looking for a RAID drive set,
and allows the card to support SATA ATAPI devices such as optical
drives, tape drives, etc. as well as hard drives (non-RAID). The SYBA
SATA PCI-X model SD-PCXSA2-2E2R controller card is based on the
SIL3124 chipset. So theoretically, any card based on this chip set
will run in a Mac with the right BIOS/firmware installed. There are
several other manufacturers cards available using this chip set that
allow port multiplier (up to 5 devices/port) operation with external
enclosures, etc..

I had to inquire directly with the manufacturer's tech support
personnel to obtain this info. They were also very specific about
which versions of OS X the card would operate with. Namely, 10.4.9,
10.4.10 and 10.5.1. I have sent an inquiry to confirm whether or not
these are the ONLY versions of OS X the card will function with. If
so, I will have to keep searching for a solution. I believe I have
found an alternate card that will work under 10.5.8 and 10.6.1, but it
is a 4-port internal that costs about $89.99-$119.00. Way too much for
simply adding a SATA DVD burner to my MDD, unless I can sell the
Seritek 1V4 for about the same amount.

There may be some SIL3512 based cards that will work as well. Still
looking...

Anyway, thanks to all who tried to help.