On Nov 20, 11:22 am, Ross <olfec...@digizip.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 12:49 pm, Ross <olfec...@digizip.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 16, 12:03 pm, Ross <olfec...@digizip.com> wrote:
>
> > >... I will report back on whether it actually
> > > works for ATAPI devices, or not...
>
> Working fine under OS X 10.4.11! SYBA tech support also says my WD
> Raptor should run without reformatting off the SYBA card. So, I'm
> going to remove the Seritek 1V4 and run the WD Raptor off the SYBA
> card. Having two eSATA ports left over is a bonus. Looks like the base
> driver OS X version requirements are minimum, covering/working under
> later versions as well, including a new driver for 10.6.1 which is
> available for download.
>
> There is a four internal port version of this card that uses the
> SiL3124 chipset as well. Maybe next time...
>
> All-in-all, a very satisfactory purchase, indeed!

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time, and my money. I purchased the SD-
PCXSA2-2E2R controller based on the manufacturer's representation the
card could be reflashed to the Base Firmware on a Windows/DOS PC, and
then used in a Mac with the SYBA/SiL3124 Base driver under various
versions of OS X. This is partially true. They OMITTED to mention that
any devices attached to the card would NOT be bootable... a rather
LARGE OVERSIGHT IMHO! Especially, since I had made my requirements
known from the git-go.

In fact, the re-flashed controller card will run the SATA DVD burner,
and it will run a NON-BOOTABLE HDD (you can';t even install an OS on a
hard drive with this card, let alone boot from it). That, coupled with
the fact OS X doesn't eject the tray under any method unless media is
already in the optical drive, makes it a cluster-**** IMHO. One has to
use an iApp or Toast to open the SATA optical drive tray to insert
media, and the optical drive is not bootable with an OS disc.

My goal was to have a single SATA controller to boot and run both a
HDD and an optical drive. I have since discovered a new ACARD
AEC-6293M that has one internal SATA port, one external SATA port and
one internal IDE port (two IDE device capable). Don't know if it is
bootable, but it claims to support SATA Atapi devices on both IDE and
SATA ports. I believe this card used to be OEM'd to Macsense, as I
used to own one from them that did the same, except I had no SATA
ATAPI device to test with back then. I used it in a DP G4/450 GigE to
boot my HDD/OS X 10.4.11.

If you have a bootable SATA controller, the addition of this re-
flashed SYBA SD-PCXSA2-2E2R will allow you to run SATA ATAPI devices,
but don't plan on booting from any device attached to this card.