Any experience with stacking drives in the sleds offered under the vent fan of a Quicksilver 2002?

My Seagates (750 & 500GB) look awfully close together run off the onboard controller. For heat and ventilation reasons, would prefer they be separated, but even using a longer style non-CS IDE cable, I cannot get the distance needed from the last two connectors, to use the middle sled for the 2nd one.

Would putting the double sled in the middle slot be better or possibly worse (no longer under the vent fan)? I have the length from the onboard connection to the end 2 connectors ...

Any suggestions? IDE cable with more length between the end connectors available?

Both my ATA controllers by Sonnet are too old to use for a PCI slot solution, and don't offer > 128GB capacity.

I hope to move to SATA later ...