On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM,  <carmo...@aol.com> wrote:
> Also can the SMART be verified via a eSATA external enclosure?

Yes. eSATA is effectively a SATA connection to your computer using
hopefully a better shielded eSATA cable. If you can get your computer
to recognize the eSATA drive then you should be able to perform any
function you could with any of your other SATA (or PATA) drives.

> One good thing about Seagate is the 5 year warranty, no receipt necessary.

Yes, no receipt is necessary, only the serial number. But, as has
already been pointed out, the warranty period depends on where Seagate
considered the drive to be in their product line and thus on Seagate's
view of the market segment the drive is targeting.

For a while Seagate was offering a 5 year warranty on all of their
regular consumer drives. I have one or two of these and they are
nearing the end of their warranty period.

However, a year or three ago (not sure of the date), Seagate reworked
their warranty periods. Now their regular drives have only a three
year warranty just like the other drive manufacturers. I believe the
common practice now is to reserve a five year warranty for the more
expensive, supposed commercial/enterprise drives in a manufacturer's
line. It's now one of the reasons to supposedly persuade you to pay
more for those drives.

I have no idea what sort of nonsense the drive manufacturers have come
up with for the warranty on their external enclosures. Part of the
reason I've never bought one of those is because I saw the warranty
period listed as just one year on some of them.

One year?!?! Are they kidding me?

I figure it makes more sense to purchase an OEM drive with a three
year warranty and mount it in an external enclosure I purchased
separately.

My take on the post about the used drives purchased from the swap
board having "zero years warranty" is that if you separate the drive
from its enclosure ... or possibly just open the enclosure in a way
that can be detected by the manufacturer ... then In the
manufacturer's opinion you have voided the warranty. Not an unheard of
practice. But IMO it's yet another reason to avoid these pre-packaged
external enclosures from the drive manufacturers.

But maybe that's just me.

-irrational john