On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM, John Carmonne <carmo...@aol.com> wrote:
> I removed the drive and put it in an external enclosure an connected it
> to my PM G5 Dual 2.7 and it functioned properly except I can't verify
> S.M.A.R.T. because its IDE and the G5 is SATA.

Most likely the reason you can not access the S.M.A.R.T. data has
nothing to do with IDE versus SATA but is a consequence of using an
external enclosure.

(FWIW, I'm not sure what you meant by the above. Are you implying that
the hard drive you are having problems with is a PATA drive? If that's
true and your G5 is SATA, then how were you using the drive in your
G5?)

Unless you are using eSATA, you won't be able to access the S.M.A.R.T.
data. My understanding is that there is no support in (the current)
protocol used to attach an external drive via USB to retrieve
S.M.A.R.T. data. I'm guessing (but don't know for certain) that this
is also the case with firewire attached external drives.

This is extremely annoying (to me) but I don't know of any way around
it if you use USB to access the external drive.

I remember reading a vague comment once that some extension to the
mass storage attachment protocol (?) was planned which would allow
accessing S.M.A.R.T. data from USB attached drives. I'm not holding my
breath waiting for it to show up. (Maybe it'll work with USB 3.0? One
can dream, no? :)

-irrational john