> > On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 7:56 PM, John Carmonne <carmo...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> >  I have a PM G5 2.7 Dual that apparently has a dead FW port on the front
> > panel,  Kinda strange that the port supplies power but no data transfer??
> > So I have a repair manual that is very detailed for this particular machine.
> >

> Well after replacing the front panel board and when that didn't fix it I
> repaced the cable from the panel board to the logic board and still no cigar
> so I fear the next step is to
> replace the logic board PITA.  I ran the ASD on it and it says everything is
> OK. Any ideas out there? The USB port in the panel works FWIW.
>
> John Carmonne
> Yorba Linda USA
> Sent from my MBP

A quicker and cheaper solution if you don't find the cause to be anything other
than replacing the logicboard is to buy a firewire PCI card with an an internal
header or port on it and connect this to your front firewire port.
It should end up working exactly the same.
I'm unsure whether the connections on the internal cable are exactly the same
though. You may have to use an adapter if not

Stewie