Hi,
I acquired a used g3 600 iMac running Tiger w/256K RAM b/c I took out one 256
stick to test my problem. I want to use it for basic internet, Word
docs/Preview, etc and these are generally fine but will crash once in a while.
The main problem is I can't get the Safari to stay open, it keeps unexpectedly
quitting or freezing but sometimes it's after an hour and other times, 5 min or
10 seconds. After that happens the other programs MIGHT do the same thing.
It was like this when I first got it so I did the combo udpate to Tiger 10.4.11
and Safari is version 3.0.4 thinking it would help but no.
Like I said, it's mostly Safari but during my testing of the sticks and slots
by swapping them around, sometimes other programs will unexpectedly quit, I
restart, Safari goes fine, other programs, too, and then a crash. Sometimes,
after using only one stick I think the spinning beach ball freeze is due to
just not enough RAM to load a page? But then I have enough RAM to run iTunes,
Preview, Safari, and stickies all at once. (So I'm not sure. I'm still learning
as I go along!
When I look at the Problem Report it says Kern_bad_access and Kern-invalid
address, or Kern_bad access and Kern_protection failure.  I just can't get a
definite pattern on it b/c it seems so random but sometimes it does ramp up,
crashing quicker and quicker but I can't determine if it's one stick/slot all
the way. I have looked online and this seems not uncommon and to be attributed
to bad RAM to a preferences file all the way to "just totally random".
Does anyone have more info on this to shed some light? I was going to buy more
RAM anyway soon but any info pertaining to what might be some other cause would
help a lot. It's driving me crazy.
I don't have any disks to run hardware tests and I don't really care to drop a
lot of money into this iMac at this time. Is this a lost cause?
Thanks!Lisa