Hi,
I acquired a used g3 600 iMac running Tiger w/256K RAM b/c I took out one 256
stick to test my problem. I want to use it for basic internet, Word
docs/Preview, etc and these are generally fine but will crash once in a while.
The main problem is I can't get the Safari to stay open, it keeps unexpectedly
quitting or freezing but sometimes it's after an hour and other times, 5 min or
10 seconds. After that happens the other programs MIGHT do the same thing.
It was like this when I first got it so I did the combo udpate to Tiger 10.4.11
and Safari is version 3.0.4 thinking it would help but no.
Like I said, it's mostly Safari but during my testing of the sticks and slots
by swapping them around, sometimes other programs will unexpectedly quit, I
restart, Safari
 goes fine, other programs, too, and then a crash. Sometimes, after using only
one stick I think the spinning beach ball freeze is due to just not enough RAM
to load a page? But then I have enough RAM to run iTunes, Preview, Safari, and
stickies all at once. (So I'm not sure. I'm still learning as I go along!
When I look at the Problem Report it says Kern_bad_access and Kern-invalid
address, or Kern_bad access and Kern_protection failure.  I just can't get a
definite pattern on it b/c it seems so random but sometimes it does ramp up,
crashing quicker and quicker but I can't determine if it's one stick/slot all
the way. I have looked online and this seems not uncommon and to be attributed
to bad RAM to a preferences file all the way to "just totally random".
Does anyone have more info on this to shed some light? I was going to buy more
RAM anyway soon but any info pertaining to what might be some
 other cause would help a lot. It's driving me crazy.
I don't have any disks to run hardware tests and I don't really care to drop a
lot of money into this iMac at this time. Is this a lost cause?
Thanks!Lisa
Kernel panics are usually memory related so you are on the right track.

You can download and install 'Rember" or Memtest" which are utilities that run
a series of stress tests on your memory.
Rember is the same as the other but easier to use as it is a GUI rather than
command line terminal application.
Rember v 0.3.4b for OSX 10.3.9 -10.4 is what you are after.

http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/

Personally I'd find the correct retail Tiger disks , wipe the hard drive and
reinstall the OS.
There may be some other problem concerning the existing OS and software
conflicts on your hard drive that you have inherited.Simply upgrading the
operating system with that combo update may not have fixed that.

Stewie