what system u are using... i may recommend Data Rescue

http://www.macosxapplications.com/system-disk-utilities/data-rescue-3-emergency-hard-drive-recovery-file-recovery/

but, wait... till more information come... you must download and burn
as CD and start form CD or DVD. No touch to your existing drive.. and
get your data from old drive to another drive. That is the best case
and blueprint of a successful rescue.

Never touch or change your existing data or HD...

2010/4/28 Cliff Rediger <redicl...@yahoo.com>:
> Color me stupid.
>
> I have two 100 GB drives: one's my basic boot drive (D1) and I
> SuperDuper copy to the other (D2) as backup.
>
> When I travel to where my wife is taking care of her parents, I back
> up to the second drive, take it with me and boot from it thru her
> iBook.
>
> I also have a tera byte drive (D3) that I use for storing av stuff,
> like video projects, ripped DVDs etc.
> Last I looked it had about 250 GB unused space on it.
>
> Here's the rub. I backed up and packed up D2 & D3 and drove to Santa
> Barbara.
> There I discovered that I must have inadvertently backed up D1 to D3
> as all the AV files are gone.
>
> Swell. OK. what to do?
>  Local Mac shop whats $300+ to recover.
> Looks like file recovery software runs about $100. Any
> recommendations  for what works.
> And, of course, I might just let it go.
>
> Advise and comments appreciated.
> Cliff