On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:09 PM, Cliff Rediger wrote:

Data Rescue provides a demo mode which allows one to scan for files
and download one recovered file.
This scan reveals nothing on the drive other than the cloned files.
My SuperDuper settings call for "smart update" which mimics the
complete backup option
so all files not on the original drive must have been erased, and
thoroughly.

I don't think your hypothesis is correct. I've used both SuperDuper and Data Rescue. For SuperDuper to have "zeroed" a 1TB HD before "smart updating" it would have taken at least an extra hour, perhaps even two. I don't believe that SuperDuper would have taken the time to zero all data on the HD unless you specified this in a preference beforehand.

Also, to correctly use Data Rescue you'd need access to another clean HD. While you may be able to compile a list of recoverable files using a smaller HD, to actually recover the files you'd need another HD at least large enough to hold the recovered data, so in your case, I believe you said the data was about 700GB, and the mistakenly cloned HD was 100GB, so that means you should have about 600GB that could possibly be recovered. If you used this HD to boot from and for internet, it's likely you ruined a fair proportion of that 600GB, so it could be much, much smaller.

In my experience, Data Rescue is very thorough, and ALWAYS finds old files unless the HD has be reformatted or zeroed. Even zeroed HDs can be recovered by professional data recovery centers, but this is VERY expensive. I'd think this is a lesson-learned experience for you, BUT I still think there SHOULD be MANY recoverable files using Data Rescue UNLESS the HD was zeroed, and zeroing a 1TB HD is a fairly long process that's not normally part of a SuperDuper backup.