On Apr 29, 8:42 pm, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:
> I don't think your hypothesis is correct. I've used both SuperDuper
> and Data Rescue. ,,, I don't believe that SuperDuper would have taken the
> time to
> zero all data on the HD unless you specified this in a preference
> beforehand.

Thanks for that thorough response Kris.
I guess part of my trouble is that I'm not sure what happened.

Typically, I back up my boot drive to another drive that I take with
me when I travel along with the  1 TB drive.
Regrettably, I didn't look at the SD settings ("this drive to that
drive"),
but, did note that it was taking a long time to "smart update".
Still, I figured this was because I hadn't backed up for weeks, and I
don't recall it taking an hour or two.

I may have booted the TB drive when setting up, not sure. But, almost
certainly didn't do anything else.

> Also, to correctly use Data Rescue you'd need access to another clean
> HD.

I understand this and figure(d) I'll need another TB drive to recover.

>While you may be able to compile a list of recoverable files using
> a smaller HD,

That's what I thought and hoped. But I don't see anything in the
recoverable files that look like my lost files.

> I still think there SHOULD be MANY recoverable files using Data Rescue

At your prompt, I'm going to look again

> UNLESS the HD was zeroed, and zeroing a 1TB HD is a fairly long
> process that's not normally part of a SuperDuper backup.

right. Thank you
Cliff