Whether a computer is obselete really depends on what you want to do
with the computer.  I mean the space shuttle runs of a i386.  I use
mine primarily as my digital darkroom for photography and it works
perfectly for what I use it for.  Furthermore various open source
software will likely extend their lifespan even further.   I have also
noticed Apple users tend to be in my experience people more concerned
with whether there computer gets the job done instead of just having
the newest hardware for the sake of bragging rights.