On Jun 14, 2010, at 2:15 PM, ah...clem wrote:

On Jun 10, 4:17 am, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:

I'm not certain if this article will enable 4GB RAM for you, but I
suspect it will, if this is possible? Instead of reducing the memory,
as the title of this article references, you'd be increasing it instead:

<http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/qa/qa2001/qa1099.html>

Note about RAM module sizes.
Sizes are in hex:
10000000 = 256mb
20000000 = 512mb
40000000 = 1gb
... and so forth.

i had never heard of PC133 sticks larger than 512MB, and THAT would be
the insurmountable roadblock to shoe-horning  4GB of RAM into a
sawtooth, 'cuz there's still only four RAM slots.  BUT, searching the
Dell site, i find that there was indeed a PowerEdge 2500 server, and
it did in fact use 1GB PC133 memory sticks!!!

<http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe2500sc/en/ug/
127kwc10.htm#1032099>.

". . . upgradable to a maximum of 4 GB by installing combinations of
64-, 128-, 256-, 512-MB, or 1-GB registered PC-133 SDRAM memory module
pairs in the six memory module sockets on the system board."

this is big news to me, because as Kris points out in the link above,
it is possible to modify the NVRAM to allow the computer to address
4GB of memory.  now the real relevant question becomes, how and where
to get a hold of some of these 1GB PC133 sticks without trolling
dumpsters for old Dell servers?

Easily and cheaply found on eBay. I just sold 8 1GB sticks for $30 shipped.

Problem is that registered sticks are keyed differently than regular SD ram stick and will not fit in the slot. Even if you physically modify the slot, the contacts will not line up. So they can not work in a Mac.

Len