From: Mark Sokolovsky <coolmar...@gmail.com>
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thu, June 10, 2010 2:45:13 AM
Subject: Re: Will PowerPC be forever obsolete?

4 1GB So-dimms LOW PROFILE from a dell poweredge 2500 server. They must be low
profile or they won't work. Be prepared to re-install the OS. Insert the RAM,
start up and press and hold COMMAND+OPTION+P+R. There was a combined OF
command, but i forgot what it was. It was after a while of learning commands on
OF. Also, my version of firmware is from a Power Mac G5 early 2003. Since the
G4 and G5 are similar, the firmware works too. The reason why the machine
cannot detect the 4GB of RAM is because of the firmware. Apple didn't really
think that 4Gb of RAM would be needed back then, so it limited the amount of
RAM to 2GB. I downloaded the PM G5 early 2003 firmware update, tricked the
installer into thinking i had a G5 processor, restarted, pressed and held
COMMAND+OPTION+P+R, shut down, inserted the 4GB of RAM, and it worked after a
Leopard re-install. Since the firmware is for a G5, the system "thinks" it's a
G5, when in reality it's a G4 (don't worry,
 it'll show up as a G4 on the about this mac window! =) ) since the firmware is
designed for a G5 that is able to handle 8GB of RAM, (Don't try 8Gb, it will be
an epic fail) It can see the 4GB of RAM and is able to use it. The open
firmware command was an alternative i made just in case i forgot, but the way i
explained it here works too. Btw, be prepared for troubleshooting. This took me
47 days to get to work. this can also be done through micro-soldering a G5 OF
chip onto a sawtooth, but I don't want to take my chances and ruin my companion
that's been happy with me for 11 years.
--
 Sent from my Power mac G4 Sawtooth.