On Jun 14, 2010, at 3:24 PM, ah...clem wrote:

On Jun 14, 2:24 pm, Len Gerstel <lgers...@gmail.com> wrote:

. . . how and where
to get a hold of some of these 1GB PC133 sticks without trolling
dumpsters for old Dell servers?

Easily and cheaply found on eBay. I just sold 8 1GB sticks for $30
shipped.

Problem is that registered sticks are keyed differently than regular
SD ram stick and will not fit in the slot. Even if you physically
modify the slot, the contacts will not line up. So they can not work
in a Mac.

Len

hmm....  i never think of ebay anymore, because i've been burned once
too many times, but . . .

1GB PC133 SDRAM APPLE or DESKTOPs Non ECC UnBuff 168Pin

http://cgi.ebay.com/1GB-PC133-SDRAM-APPLE-DESKTOPs-Non-ECC- UnBuff-168Pin-/370394025373? cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563d344d9d#ht_2411wt_737

Well, they offer a full refund if for any reason you are unhappy.

From the item description:

THIS WILL WORK IN ANY & ALL DESKTOP COMPUTER THAT CAN USE 1GB PER SLOT.
ASK ME IF YOU'RE UNSURE

Present discussion excepted, no one I know has ever gotten a 1GB stick to work in a Mac with PC133 ram.

They also say:

SPECS AT A GLANCE:
PC133 SDRAM / 168 Pin / Non ECC - UnBuffered / LOW DENSITY
GUARANTEED TO WORK IN ANY AND ALL PC133 & PC100 DESKTOP COMPUTER THAT CAN USE 512MB PER SLOT.

Why are they mentioning 512MB per slot?

My personal opinion is that if anyone had gotten these to work in out Macs to get past the 1.5 or 2gb limit, it would be all over the net and these lists.

Go for it and report the results back to the list. Just test it by itself and also with the other slots filled with 512MB sticks to see if you can break the 1.5 or 2gb limit.

Len