> Would anyone care to share their experiences with Newer Technology's
> MiniStack?  Specifically version 2.5?
>
> I'm considering buying one, but I've occasionally run into a specific
> problem with external drive enclosures, and so I like to check others'
> experiences first.
>
> The problem I've seen with more than one enclosure is that they will
> lock up after some random amount of data transfer on large
> transfers.   Yes, sleep is turned off, etc.   Other enclosures with
> the same drive installed are fine, and when I have an enclosure with
> this problem, it happens on every computer in the house that has
> USB.
>
> For example, the cheap Venus USB/Firewire enclosure that Dealmac
> listed several years ago.  As an aside, most of the enclosures that
> Dealmac reports which have really low prices turn out to be ones that
> have abysmal reviews.
>
> So, I'm careful now when buying a new enclosure.
>
> So how is the MIniStack 2.5?   Does it do file copies which are tens
> or hundreds of gigabytes without stalling/freezing?
>
> By freezing/lock up, it doesn't lock up the computer.  The copy just
> stops progressing and the drive stops responding.   The host computer
> is fine.
>
> Thank you for any helpful or humorous responses.
>
> Jeff Walther

I've got two Ministack 2.5's that have performed well for me over two
years, even running flawlessly throughout the last hot Australian
summer. Yes the fans are a bit noisy at times but they do what they are
supposed to do - kick in when the temperature climbs to protect the HD.

They work as well whether transferring data by USB or FW.

I'd also never use an external drive without plugging it into AC power
either, especially if you are looking at backing up large Gbs of data -
one reason why you may experience lockups.
For use with Macs using firewire, the best external cases have the Oxford
chipsets too - something else to consider.

Stewie