On Jul 8, 1:26 pm, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At 10:47 AM -0700 7/8/2010, t...@io.com wrote:
>
> >By freezing/lock up, it doesn't lock up the computer.  The copy just
> >stops progressing and the drive stops responding.   The host computer
> >is fine.
>
> And when that happens, what error messages are being thrown in the
> system log?  OS X rarely does anything quietly.  *Always* check the
> logs!

Dan, thanks for the suggestion.  That is an interesting question.
Unfortunately, I am quite unskilled with OSX.  Back in the day I was
accomplished with the various pre-X operating systems, but I've never
had the time and interest to do all the magazine and book reading and
fiddling to acquire the same skills in X.

Anyway, that's all a long way of saying: where do I find the system
log?  Would it make sense to check it in a terminal window?  I'm a
reasonable Unix user (nothing resembling a Unix administrator
though).   Does the Unix on OSX have vi?

How far back does the log go?  Should I bring up the log and then
induce the error or can I check back a week to see the old error?

Thank you.