On Jul 16, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Jul 16, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Jim Scott wrote:

On Jul 16, 2010, at 12:22 PM, Jeffrey Engle wrote:

I just installed two identical optical drives in my MDD, and when I go up to the menu and click on "eject" the machine only recognizes one drive (because they're both identical) How can I have control over each one individually? how can I make the hdd see them differently? Jeff

Set one as master, the other as slave. Usually, the drive at the end of the cable is set as master.

No, this is bad information.

John Carmone is correct, you hold the option key down to eject the other drive. (this also works with the 'eject' key as well as the eject menu option)

If the drives are recognized at all without setting those jumpers, the bus is a cable-select one, and the system *already knows* which is master and which is slave; if the cable select option was NOT working, the drives wouldn't appear to the computer until the jumpers were set.

--
Bruce Johnson

So the jumpers should be set as "cable select" then? on both? Jeff

Jeff Engle
Kamiah, Idaho 83536