On Jul 20, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Jul 20, 2010, at 7:59 AM, James Therrault wrote:

I believe that RTF is a relatively late development as sort of a bridge between full blown type control and plain text. But like you, it can pass on as some here just don't know a lot about typography.

RTF is about the only thing Microsoft ever did right, standards- wise, and predates HTML and such. It was introduced in 1987, and is an eminently useful standard for generating formatted text programmatically...in my day job I use it a lot to crank out printable reports and forms, especially ones that need to be modified by the end-user, which rules out PDF for the most part.

(Also, if you aver need a simple, easy-to-parse and modify RTF document, to use as a template, for instance, WordPad from Windows 95 or 98 is unparalleled. Word, TextEdit, and most other word processors make enormously complex RTF files. "Hello World" in WordPad RTF is a few hundred bytes, in Word it's like 14 or 20K. I have an old copy of WordPad squirreled away in my XP vm just for that purpose.)

Thanks for the update Bruce. I didn't realize that it (RTF) came about that early. Back then I was up to my neck with PageMaker, Linotype etc where precise type control was needed.

Certainly, RTF does provide even the novice user with pretty good type control but it never did really fit my needs and of course it wasn't available to Mac users until later.

There needs to be an emphasis on the difference between word processing and true desktop publishing.

JT