On Jul 20, 2010, at 3:14 PM, onelucent wrote:

> On 7/20/10 12:24 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>> (Also, if you aver need a simple, easy-to-parse and modify RTF document, to
>> use as a template, for instance, WordPad from Windows 95 or 98 is
>> unparalleled. Word, TextEdit, and most other word processors make enormously
>> complex RTF files. "Hello World" in WordPad RTF is a few hundred bytes, in
>> Word it's like 14 or 20K. I have an old copy of WordPad squirreled away in
>> my XP vm just for that purpose.)
>>
> Yes, from an era, when economy in programming was a virtue.

Yes and no.

The huge amount of other stuff included with modern Word-generated RTF docs
support a lot more features than do those emitted by WordPad. An RTF doc
generated by Word 2008 is more likely to look the same in TextEdit than one
generated by WordPad.

There is a lot of cruft that could be excised from any given document, but
given the structure of an RTF file, it's easier just to dump a huge generic
prolog into the document than try to optimize it for an extreme lower boundary
case....when you look at a 200-page RTF document that few kb difference is a
lot less noticeable...all that complexity is front-loaded.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona