On Jul 20, 2010, at 5:19 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Jul 20, 2010, at 2:55 PM, James Therrault wrote:

Certainly, RTF does provide even the novice user with pretty good type control but it never did really fit my needs and of course it wasn't available to Mac users until later.

RTF was supported on the Mac as of Word 3 iirc, and I know for a fact that I opened RTF docs using WriteNow back in the OS 7 days; that's how I transferred things from Word on the PC's at work.

There needs to be an emphasis on the difference between word processing and true desktop publishing.

Or in my case formatting database query results plus static text into downloadable RTF documents accessed via Perl CGI scripts. :-)

I'm also doing PDF on the fly for documents that don't need to be modified, also programmatically via perl.

But you're correct: RTF is a word processing interoperability format, not a desktop publishing format. RTF files retain simple formatting, table structures, etc, but the same file can look wildly different in different programs.

Exactly.

I think that the only version of Word I ever owned was 1 or 2 and that was simply for inputting text from clients with PC(s) back in the early days. Back the MacWrite really sucked and Word wasn't far behind.

We sure have come a long way since then...

JT