On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:47 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Jul 20, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Kris Tilford wrote:

On Jul 20, 2010, at 5:14 PM, onelucent wrote:

Yes, from an era, when economy in programming was a virtue.

It still is a virtue with the ascendency of the iPhone, iPad, and other mobile platforms.

Speaking of which, Apple donated the source code of MacPaint and the QuickDraw toolbox to the Computer Museum, who have made it available to all.

The main source file for MacPaint is 157K; about 5000 lines of Pascal.

<http://www.computerhistory.org/highlights/macpaint/>

Well worth the perusal, if only for a good example of how code *should* be written, clear, structured and understandable.

There's a quote from Bill Atkinson in the article:

"[Bill] later said about software in general, "It's an art form, like any other art form... I would spend time rewriting whole sections of code to make them more cleanly organized, more clear. I'm a firm believer that the best way to prevent bugs is to make it so that you can read through the code and understand exactly what it's doing… And maybe that was a little bit counter to what I ran into when I first came to Apple... If you want to get it smooth, you've got to rewrite it from scratch at least five times.""

Words of wisdom...

The faster machines become along with huge amounts of RAM, the sloppier code gets.

I remember my first computer, a Commodore 64 would run a full featured flight simulator with only 41K available RAM.

<sigh>

JT