On Dec 1, 2010, at 6:09 PM, Tom wrote:

My sister-in-law has a G4 eMac that came with a 40-gig drive, which
has filled up. The computer is perfectly functional, though, and
serves all her needs; she just needs more storage room.

I bought a 500-gig drive for her from OWC and intended to replace the
old one with the new. Then on searching for instructions to swap out
the drive online, I find numerous warnings that this is not a Mac
intended for owners to open up. Certain interior parts that have to be
removed are fragile and easily broken, and the electrical charge in
the CRT is very dangerous. So says websites such as EveryMac. (Why,
then, does OWC sell drives that are advertised as upgrades for an
eMac? Just who is supposed to replace the drives, if the owner can't?)

So, I called the local Apple store (in Albuquerque) to see if they'd
put the drive in for me, and was told that "we don't service older
Macs. And that one is even dangerous to open up."

Well, thanks for nothing, Apple. Just how new does a Mac have to be
before an Apple technician will service it? Brand new, or nearly so?
And do you really build computers so dangerous that even an Apple tech
is afraid to open it up?

What kind of a crummy company is this, anyway? Methinks they really
need some competition. As it is, they obviously feel free to jettison
owners of their products once those products have passed a certain
age.

Believe me, if i didn't have so much money invested in Apple products
and software, my next computer would not be an Apple, after treatment
like this.

Any independent certified mac technician should be able to do this.

JT