On Dec 2, 1:20 am, Jonas Ulrich <jonasulrich3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As for danger, I seriously doubt it's that dangerous. I suppose you are sort
> of opening up a CRT monitor, which can be dangerous, just stay away from the
> components in the actual CRT, and if you are worried about it, I'm sure
> there are measures that can be taken in order to drain any electricity from
> the CRT before you work on it.

Most (all?) CRT flybacks since the late 80s have a built in bleeder
circuit to drain off the CRT charge after the system is powered down.

I strongly doubt that there is any electrical shock danger from an
unplugged eMac.

Also, while the voltage is high, the current and available power is
tiny.  You'd have to be fantastically unlucky to be injured even if
you were to touch a charged CRT.

The *only* time I've been shocked by a CRT was when I went to
discharge an old Mac 512K.   Trying to avoid being shocked by
discharging the CRT is the exact thing which caused me to be
shocked.   Better to just stay away from the CRT/flyback connection
rather than attempt to discharge it.

And that shock, it was uncomfortable, but hardly injurious.   Then
again, I've been electrocuted by wall current more times than I count
and the only time it had any effect beyond discomfort was the one time
I got a 220V jolt from the mains on an electric water heater.  That
did knock be back a bit.   So maybe I just have some of relation to
Uncle Fester.

Jeff Walther