On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Tina K. <penguir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010/12/01 19:48, Bruce so eloquently wrote:
>
>> You do not need to put your new hard drive in the eMac.
>>
>> Put the new hard drive in an external case, and plug it into the eMac.
>>

> Yes that will work, though I believe the throughput of the internal bus is
> faster than an external firewire drive.
>
> I have not worked on an eMac but I did own a late G3 iMac and I believe
> both can be worked on without too much difficulty - certainly easier than a
> clamshell iBook.
>
> If you take the appropriate precautions as previously mentioned, and pay
> attention to what goes where (an ice cube tray can be helpful for keeping
> screws segregated) you'll be ok. Assuming you have some very basic
> mechanical & electronic aptitude.
>
> Tina

I couldn't agree more Tina. I have personally worked on both the eMac, the
iMac G3, and the Clamshell iBook. And yes the eMac and iMac are both easier
than than the Clamshell.

I had never opened up an eMac before when I first upgraded the optical drive
in the original 700MHZ model. The biggest pain is the wire mesh that you
will have to remove. I'm not sure if it is even necessary to put it back on,
but the only way to do so, will require cutting some of the mesh away,
especially around the corners. (You'll see what I mean if you take the
machine apart). Other than that, just keep track of the screws and you'll be
fine. The newer models actually don't have the mesh, it's just good old
metal, which is A LOT easier to work with. (I replaced a hard drive in a
1.25GHZ eMac).

As for danger, I seriously doubt it's that dangerous. I suppose you are sort
of opening up a CRT monitor, which can be dangerous, just stay away from the
components in the actual CRT, and if you are worried about it, I'm sure
there are measures that can be taken in order to drain any electricity from
the CRT before you work on it.

Overall I think it's totally doable.

-Jonas