On Feb 10, 4:16 pm, John Martz <zjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I believe that humans are "wired" to try to find correlations. It's
> not just the way our minds may be predisposed to work, I think it is
> also how we feel about the way the world should work. When we have an
> effect we look for a cause not only intellectually, but emotionally as
> well. We have a longing, a desire for an explanation.
>
> So if we change something and the effect which was vexing us appears
> to have gone away then I think most of us are quite eager to view that
> change as causal, regardless of whether it was or was not.
>
> I offer this as a possible rationalization for what you saw when you
> dug deeper into this. In my experience, this tendency can make trying
> to find a solution very frustrating. Folks seem to always be ready to
> claim that just giving their problem a good whack with whatever hammer
> they happen to have had at hand is what sorted things. (It sure would
> be nice if Google could come up with a search filter to weed out those
> posts. ;-)
>
> -irrational john

Here is an opposite take on claiming fixes.  In the mid-1970s, I
became involved in a system that had just come online with what was
already an antiquated architecture:  CDC 6400 computers running SDC's
TDMS for the database, with dumb terminals and other peripherals wired
to "controllers", in use for mission-critical, real time data receipt,
processing, and human analysis and reporting.  On several occasions,
when the system broke down for mysterious reasons, and while running
in degraded mode on the smaller of the two CPUs, the hardware people,
applications programmers, and  systems programmers would all spend
hours finding problems and fixing them until the system returned to
normal operations.  At the end, I could find no one to take credit for
detecting the root cause of the breakdown and fixing it.

Al Poulin