Thanks Jonas - sorry it is Tiger, not a Mac guy so I'm confusing my
carnivoires....

Yes, the 10.4 OS sees the Mac 9.1 disk very nicely, and I tried (out
of desporation) physically copying all of the CD folders over to an
empty hard drive, upon which the Classic OS window also found, and
labeled it an OS9 system disk, but booting to that isn't particularly
productive as it knows that baby is a copy, and suggests I boot from
the CD...  yah yah yah, I know, you can't install 9.1 that way......

So it can't be the CD as I can physically move all of the files over
fine.  The reason I am going to the 'custom' thing is the wiki below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_9

give a look at the table at the bottom under the PowerPC Digital Audio
G4, and it tells you that:

OS 9.0 is NFG;
9.1 is OK, but it needs a 'custom' version of the 9.1 install disk;
9.2 is also OK  (But I can't use 9.2 as I have a hardware device that
won't run under 9.2, the Imate ADB to USB adaptor).

I'm getting ready to learn how to hack my software to avoid that
dongle, looks like it might be the easier way to go lol.....

Any ideas folks??