Thank you gang for all of the suggestions.

I'll give you some more details on my needs.

I am running a custom scannning program, called Optronics - Coloright
Ver 5.2, which was written for the PowerPC.  It will NOT run under
OSX, any version.  It uses two interfaces:  A Sentinel Eve3 ADB
dongle, and it uses the old HP GPIB IEEE-488 interface.  Neither the
scanner nor the software is supported any more, and no development has
gone on with this stuff for over 10 years.  From reading the posts on
Yahoo Group scanhi-end, the experence from the 'group' is this guy
will run up to OS 9.1, and no further.  I'm not sute what fails on 9.2
or 9.2.2, whether it is one of the hardware bits, or whether the
software itself just won't run.

I see that imate, which I'll need as the G4 has no ADB ports, only has
drivers for OSX up to 10.3.9, but has drivers for OS 9.  Since the OSX
driver is no good to me under 10.4, this will mean that I can't run
any application under classic that requires the imate driver, unless I
revert back to 10.3 (Panther?), and try running a classic window under
that configuration.  The other option would be to drop 9.2 on a
separate hard driver and dual boot, using 9.2 for my application.  I
have an imate coming, so I won't be able to test things for a couple
of weeks.  I am assuming that the GPIB communications will be fine as
there are both OS 9 and OSX drivers for the PCI-GPIB board that I also
need to run the ap.

My intention in all of this was to run this ap on the most modern
(lol) PowerPC I could find.  The more recent OS's give me better
networking, PC compatibility for file sharing, etc, or at least that
is what I was thinking.  The G4 Digital Audio only cost me $50, so I
thought it would be a good 'upgrade' from the original configuration,
which is set up on a PowerPC 9500, which has poor USB support,
poor(er) networking etc etc.

I think I will try the suggestion to mount the 9.2 image file thing,
and see if the ap runs.