On Mar 2, 1:53 am, jsmanson <jsman...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> I have the above machine with no disks, running 10.4 Panther, with no
> classic installed.  I have been trying to install classic, and I need
> OS9.1 (no later) for compatibility with some older hardware.  So I
> bought the 9.1 retail install CD, and I have been trying to get this
> beast to boot off the CD with no success.  If I boot holding down the
> C key, I get the question mark and smiling face dance for about 1
> minute as the CD whirls away, after which the system gives up and
> moves on to OSX.

On my recently deceased DA G4 I had a separate partition for OS 9.
When you format
the HD for OS X I'm pretty sure it will ask you if you want to install
the OS 9 driver. If
you want to run OS 9 this is required.

I don't think that applies here, though. For a long time I would have
problems
while running under OS 9. I thought I was running OS 9.2.2 which Apple
says
is required to run under OS X. I was actually running OS 9.2.1. When I
upgraded
to OS 9.2.2 the problems went away.

I don't think that is your problem either. Can you boot anything from
the CD drive?

I also have an OS 9.1 install disk and I never had a problem booting
it either holding
down the "C" key or selecting it under startup drive.

It's possible, but unlikely that you could have a corrupted PRAM. You
could try holding
the command and P and R keys on boot up and let it klorg away three or
four times
and the let it boot up. But I doubt that that is the problem either.

Mark Murphy