On Mar 3, 2011, at 12:30 AM, Sean Carroll wrote:

Can you not, from within Tiger, insert the OS 9.1 install CD and install OS 9.1 on your "empty" HD (or a partition there)?

I think you're correct here, I don't think you need to be booted in OS 9 to install OS 9, you should be able to do it from OS X. If not, you can download the Netboot 9.2.2 OS X installer package for free from Apple and remove the two Netboot extensions from the System folder>Extensions folder AND the System file called "Login" and you're golden:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1192>

I may be misunderstanding the importance to you of running OS 9.1 within the Mac OS X Classic Environment, but if I'm not mistaken, I think Classic calls for OS 9.2.2 and nothing earlier, at least in all the versions of OS X I've run (Panther and Tiger).

No, OS 9.1 is the minimum Classic system, but it will nag you to upgrade to 9.2.2.

I'm not sure why a Digital Audio that came with OS 9.1 pre-installed would have a problem with any 9.1 disc (aside from any optical drive issues). If anyone else here knows, the answer would enlighten me.

I think it's probably the "digital audio", I don't think the retail OS 9.1 System has any support for "digital audio"?