Well I am glad others have had a better experience.  My point was Simply that
on any computer platform good benchmarks does not always mean an improvement of
real world performance.

-----Original Message-----
From: "James E. Therrault" <mjrtas...@gmail.com>
Sender: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:00:39
To: <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: OT OT OT need a reason ?

On Mar 22, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2011, at 10:32 PM, Daniel Stewart wrote:
>
>> But truth be told they have
>> found they are much more impressed with the old G4s because unlike the
>> new faster Intel macs the G4s are actually consistently reliable.
>> Their Intel Macs are consistently crashing or malfunctioning in some
>> other way.
>
> This is directly contrary to my experience managing a college with about
> 100-120 Macs in use, all but a handful of which are Intel macs of one form or
> another; none 'consistently crash'.
>
> Of course there are occasional issues, but most of those have been fixed by
> either starting in safe mode (to clear the caches) using Applejack (once per
> machine so far, not as a routine maintenance) or most often, just getting
> enough RAM in the systems. (people trying to run a bunch of Mac apps plus
> Windows in a VM need more than 2GB ram, or the system slows to a crawl on a
> regular basis.)

It's been about two months since I switched from my trusty ol' Gigabit G4 to a
late '09 Mac Mini.  The previous owner had wiped the HD and reinstalled the
original system s/w which was an early version of Snow Leopard and then
upgraded it to the current 10.6.6.

For about the first month, I did experience strange things like application
crashes, sleep issues etc but now it seems as if the machine "has learned" my
habits.  It is now rock steady, runs 24/7 (much of it in sleep mode) without
any problems.

Safari which always gave me fits on the G4 is now amazing.  Other apps as well
and I am running Rosetta (sp?) for an older game, Mah Jong and it works just
fine.

Moving across a ten year technology "bridge" has been quite an impressive
journey!

Wow!

JT