On Mar 22, 10:42 am, "ah...clem" <boneheads...@gmail.com> wrote:
> there you go AGAIN, confusing software performance with CPU
> performance.  the apps you refer to were written for the Win/Tel
> architecture, and ported to the PPC by lazy and/or incompetent boobs
> who wouldn't or couldn't rewrite the program from the ground up in
> such a way as to fully exploit the Altivec processor.

? No, I was just looking at it from the user perspective. At some
level, the Mac is a black box performing a function. Now, if you said
you had an alternative video encoder that can change formats for me,
paid or free, to go from any format to either one compatible with my
iTunes/iPad or TiVo, that would have been interesting. A lecture on
AltiVec, not so much.

>  a 1 gig intel
> processor does a billion floating-point operations per second, while a
> 1 gig PPC does one billion 64-bit vector operations per second.  it is
> theoretically 64 times faster than an intel CPU with the same clock
> speed, but only if you have programmers smart enough and industrious
> enough to exploit its full power.

64 times? Well, actually, I am unfamiliar enough with Intel to not
speak to it. AltiVec is a 128bit SIMD, so 4 simultaneous 32 bit
operands, but this is a tangent. I guess going from 2 x 1.25GHz to 4 x
2.8GHz gave me the 10X improvement, but for the wrong reason? I'm ok
with that.